Friday, December 3, 2010

LinkedIn

LinkedIn is a tool I joined specifically for Social Computing; however, it is one that I will continue to use after this course is done.  LinkedIn is a networking tool for professional that allows users to connect with colleagues and classmates, connect with experts for advice as well as provide inside connections when looking for jobs.

Over the past three months I have connected with approximately twenty people; the majority of my connections have been classmates from the Educational Technology program.  I have not had the opportunity to really use LinkedIn to develop my career or reach out to experts; however, I did draw on one of my connections to provide some insight with regards to my internship.  I found a past Ed. Tech student who did her internship at the same place I was thinking of doing mine.  She was able to provide me with some context about her experience that helped me decided that the organization was a good fit for me.  Based on this experience, I can see the value that my LinkedIn network might have for me in the future.  I can see what other graduates of the program are doing to provide me with some ideas of what I can expect when I am finished the program.  In addition, I may be able to draw on some of their experiences when I am looking for a job myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment