Tuesday, November 30, 2010

LibraryThing

I joined LibraryThing in the spring of 2010 on the recommendation of my father.  We had both just read the same book and had differing ideas about one of the story lines.  He pointed me to LibraryThing to read what others had to say.  I found that exercise really interesting so I created my own profile.  I intended to use it to keep track of the books I have read and to explore what other people had to say about them.  Unfortunately, since I joined I have not had a lot of time for reading or for exploring LibraryThing.  I have been bogged down with coursework and my home-life responsibilities.  I have only had time to input and review a few of the books I have read recently.  I have also read a few reviews of the books on my reading list.

Based on the limited experience I have had with LibraryThing I am hoping to have more time for it in the future.  I think it could be a great tool for discussing books and for book recommendations.  I already belong to a face-to-face book club which I enjoy very much, but I think LibraryThing could be an interesting extension to what that book club offers me.  My real-life book club is operated through a community center so I do not have any say in the people who join or their taste in books.  I may be able to streamline my interactions on LibraryThing to be better suited to my own taste.  Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment