Saturday, December 4, 2010

Google Talk

Google Talk was #10 on my list of social media tools to explore for this project.  It made the list at the onset of this project because I was having a really hard time finding ten technologies to explore and I picked it off a list.  In the end I did not use this tool at all.  Despite not using Google Talk, and barely scratching the surface of LibraryThing and YouTube, I did manage to immerse myself in more than ten technologies by the end of this semester.

As a class we opted out of using FirstClass for class communication and chose to use GoogleWave instead.  This choice allowed me to explore both of those tools.  The class also used TypeWithMe to collaboratively compose thank-you letters to the two guest speakers who gave their time to our class.  And finally, the student-led seminars gave me brief exposure to SecondLife and several other virtual world technologies.  While some of these experiences were superficial, others have been quite rich.  It is safe to say that I have learned far more from being immersed in the world of social media that if we had spent class time being "taught" about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment